Monday, January 24, 2011

holy crap, I fainted

Readers, I had one of the scariest experiences of my life yesterday morning.

My family and I were heading down to church for our son's Sunday school class. I was driving my minivan (as I always do), Super Man was in the passenger seat and Super Girl was in back with Super Boy. We were about halfway to our church, ON A BRIDGE, when all of a sudden I felt light-headed, hot & sweaty, and definitely NOT well. I turned off the heat in the van, opened my window and tried to see if that would help. My light-headedness was getting worse and my vision was getting blotchy. I had just enough time to say to Super Man, "I don't feel right - I think I'm going to pass out," pull the van as far to the right as possible, throw it into "park" and hit the button to turn my hazards on before I PASSED OUT.

From the time I started feeling not right to the time I passed out was maybe 90 seconds.

Next thing I knew, I felt like I was just waking up and I could hear Super Man saying my name over and over and over. When I opened my eyes, he was holding my face in his hands, looking very concerned. I asked, "What happened?" Honestly, I thought I had just closed my eyes for a minute to rest and cool off once I'd pulled over. Super Man told me I had passed out, and was out for about 45 seconds. I couldn't believe it. In the meantime, the kids were freaking out in the back, and I could hear Super Girl telling 911 that it was a false alarm and I was okay. Can you say, "HOLY CRAP???"

I sat there in disbelief for a few minutes while Super Man made me drink from my ever-present bottle of ice water. My hands were shaking like crazy, my face was a little sweaty and I was sure I was very pale, and I suddenly felt really cold. We sat there, blocking the right lane on the bridge, until I felt well enough to drive to the nearest turn so Super Man could take the wheel. Needless to say, I was - and remain - scared to drive after that happened. I mean, think about it: I had my entire family in my car with me, ON A BRIDGE, and I passed out while driving. THANK GOD a million times over that I had enough time to process what was happening, pull over and park the car before I lost consciousness. I shudder to think of what could've happened if I'd still had the car in "drive" when it happened. I could've killed my family, or someone else's family. NOT a good situation, no matter how you slice it.

When we got the car off the road and switched places, Super Man called my OB's office to ask whether he should take me to the hospital or not. Of course, being a Sunday, we got the answering service and had to wait for the on-call OB to call us back. In the meantime, I drank my ice water, sucked on a mint I had in the car (in case it happened to be hypoglycemia), and made DH and the kids tell me exactly what happened after I parked the car and passed out.

Apparently, I was out for about 45 seconds. In that time, I literally slumped in my seat and the reason Super Man was holding my face was that it sounded like I was having trouble breathing being slumped as I was. My skin got clammy and pale, and Super Man said he was repeating my name the entire time trying to get me to come around. He could tell when I was almost there because my breathing got quieter and more normal, and then it was like I just woke up.

Super Man said he couldn't believe how lucky we ALL were that I was able to stop the car before I passed out. I was thinking the same thing.

He started driving, heading toward the hospital near our house, when the OB on-call called us back. Super Man spoke to him for a few minutes, and then the doctor wanted to speak to me. I told him what happened, and explained that in the middle of the night before, I'd woken up around 2:45am with a stomachache and spent about a half-hour in the bathroom with diarrhea, then had trouble falling back asleep, but I felt okay in the morning. I had eaten a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. The doctor wasn't overly concerned about me passing out, and chalked it up to dehydration from my middle-of-the-night bathroom situation the night before, assuming I hadn't rehydrated enough afterwards. He also said it could've been the position of the baby, maybe resting on a crucial bit of my vascular system and causing the drop in blood pressure. He asked how my appointments have gone so far, and if I've had any issues with diabetes or blood pressure and I said no -- all of my appointments have gone great, and all my vitals and tests have been normal. So, no tests this time, but he said if it happens again, to call and they'll probably want to run a few tests. He told me to go home, drink sports drinks and water and get some rest. So I did.

But now I'm afraid to drive. At least alone, or with Super Boy. What if it happens again? Then again, I know that I can't NOT drive. Super Man works an hour away; he works long hours; he travels for work. I HAVE TO drive. Super Boy has to get to school and to activities, we need groceries and other things, etc. I think I'll feel a lot better once I can get through a few weeks without any more fainting issues.

It was just so bizarre. I never fainted while pregnant with Super Boy. I don't even remember ever feeling dizzy with him, beyond a little light-headedness if I stood up too fast or something. This happened so out-of-the-blue, with so little warning, that it just surprised the heck out of me. I'm just praying it won't happen again.

Have any of you had issues with fainting while pregnant? Anyone ever fainted while DRIVING while pregnant?

Stay safe, friends, and be well!

Your grateful friend SW

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog because (get ready for a surprise) I have secondary infertility and like a fool I spend too much time seeking out blogs or anything related to it. My son is a little over 3 but we've been actively trying since he was about 7 months old since it took us and ectopic and an additional 6 months to get pregnant with him. At the time, of course, that felt like and eternity. HA. Anyways, it's always so comforting to come across the written word that makes me feel like I am not alone. That everything I am feeling is EXACTLY what someone else in my shoes feels. That just because I want a second child doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the one I have (I actually think it makes me appreciate every second with him more...just as you said somewhere in here). That it's okay to keep trying.

    We are starting our first Clomid/IUI cycle this month and have mentally committed to 3. So NATURALLY I now want to do 4 since that what worked for someone else :) I will be thinking of you if (IF!) our third IUI attempt fails. I'm going to be wondering if #4 might just work. But as you can probably imagine, I would wonder about #5 or #6 or trying naturally or IVF or anything else if I'm still left with no bun in the oven after all of this.

    A question I have for you is how you knew adoption wasn't right for you? I guess I can't answer that question for me until we really, really know another biological child isn't in the cards. But I'm super on the fence about it and it makes me wonder - do I want to be pregnant or do I want to be a mother? Is it wrong to only want another child if I can see it growing from nothing and see his first seconds in this world? I just don't know.

    In any case, thank you for your blog. And congrats on your baby - I mean that :) If you have any interest in answering anything from this novel-comment my email is thermus@gmail.com. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, thank you for your comment! It always makes my day - truly - to hear from a reader who says that my blog has brought them comfort and made them feel like they aren't alone in what they're going through. And as someone who often felt alone going through this journey myself, I know how much that can mean.

    I'm going to answer your question about why we didn't pursue adoption in a new blog post, since it is one option that many in our position consider and deserves to be addressed, so keep an eye out for it in the next day or two. ;)

    Thanks again and BEST OF LUCK to you! I will also email you so you have my email address and can stay in touch.

    Best wishes,
    Super Woman

    ReplyDelete